First Southern Baptist Church of Hollywood
First Southern Baptist Church of Hollywood is committed to not only the members of our immediate community, but also to those individuals who dwell in any area of the world. We believe that establishing a personal relationship with Christ will improve a person’s physical, mental, and spiritual well-being. Our aim is to allow Christ and the Holy Spirit to guide our church’s actions so that we will be a blessing to others. Whether we distribute groceries, clothing, toys, school supplies, or a spiritual message, they are all gifts from our Heavenly Father. Once people believe and accept the healing nature of Christ, He will transform their lives. As a church, we are prayerful that others will join His Kingdom and become an example of His everlasting love and mercy. Please feel free to visit our church and experience our friendly family in Christ.
“The First Southern Baptist Church of Hollywood is committed to cultivating a caring community of believers who are focused on meeting the spiritual, emotional, physical and material needs of those inside and outside of the body of Christ, to the glory of God”.
We desire to see further growth in our outreach for Christ, our food ministry, the nurturing of small churches, and the expansion of mentoring and assisting young people in the community. We desire to expand our prayer ministry influence, not only to the local church, but also to the other churches in our area.
First Southern Baptist Church of Hollywood began in 1946 as a Bible Study group led by a retired minister named Chestnut. The group formed as an outreach of Centinela Baptist Church in Santa Monica. There was a bit of progress but, ultimately, by 1950 there was not much happening with it. That is when God burdened the heart of Marshall DeVaughn who was the Pastor of First Southern Baptist Church of Downey. DeVaughn resigned from the Downey church, came to Hollywood and, after much hard work (primarily knocking on doors), began Imperial Baptist Church with 30 people in a rented house on Vine Street in Hollywood. After two years, he left to plant First Baptist Church of Beverly Hills.
In 1952, Rev. Daniel Boone Weaver took the reins of the small congregation and relocated it to the current address at 1528 N. Wilton Place in Hollywood. Gifts and loans from various Southern Baptist groups enabled him to purchase what is now the main sanctuary building and an adjoining building. The property had previously been a church called the Meta-physical Church of Realization founded in 1950 by Amy Elliott. She lost the property in a lawsuit in 1952. This enabled Rev. Weaver to initiate the purchase, and the church was incorporated with the State of California in October of 1952. Adjacent to the church were two other buildings built in 1923 as Hollywood Temple Beth-el. That congregation relocated in the 1940’s to Crescent Heights Blvd. This left the buildings available, and Rev. Weaver also initiated the purchase of that property.
From 1952-1959, Rev. Weaver’s tenure as Pastor, saw 700 people pass through the doors. Many came from the South looking for work, but eventually returned to their homelands. In 1960, the church called Pastor Dr. Brougher Petty Maddox to service. Dr. Maddox served from 1960-1984, during which time many mission churches were started, among them Romanian, Hungarian, Jewish, Filipino, Korean, and Mandarin Chinese missions. The latter group, under the leadership of Dr. Y. K. Chang, moved from Hollywood to Alhambra and became a large congregation, with many missions of its own. Dr. Maddox retired in 1984, and the church elected Rev. Gary E. Tibbs as its Pastor. In the past 31 years, the church has experienced continuous mission development, as well as outreach into the community with
ongoing programs and opportunities which the Lord has provided. We trust the Lord to use us for another 60+ years to the glory of Our Lord Jesus Christ.